Thursday, November 6, 2008

One Month


I've only been at home by myself with Hadley for three days and I'm already positive that stay-at-home moms are some secret form of God, and/or masochistic gluttons for punishment.

This is hard. I feel bad because sometimes I find myself dreading the next day. Nobody warns you about all the little stuff babies do; the fact that she sounds like a velociraptor trying to hump a very reluctant elephant, for example. Or that when she's home alone with me, I have to resist calling her Damien, but when Daddy gets home we're happy as a cute little clam. Or that I can't put her down at all during the day, or she immediately screams like there's no tomorrow.

How do you do it?! I don't even remember my last shower. I was going to have a 'bedtime routine' every night where she got a bath, nursed, and we read a book before she slipped blissfully into sleep. It was a really pretty fantasy that will NEVER HAPPEN. Routine?! Does that even exist?! What if I'm breaking her by not establishing a routine! She'll grow up and be a stripper or a serial killer, and it'll all go back to her telling Diane Sawyer, "Well, when I was an infant my mother didn't establish any routines. So I killed my English professor and wore his head like a hat."

I might be going a little crazy. Only in the fun way though, not in the scary, serious way. I typically forget how frustrated I am as soon as she looks at me, or coos her approval around my boobie. So I guess it's a fair trade.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

DUDE! I so want to conversate with you right now. That is probably the funniest post I've ever read. Funny because it's you, but funny because I have so been there. See, being the veteran that I am having done this FOUR times, I have to laugh at you a bit. Now please understand it is in a very loving way. Sweet Ger, you will get through this. Newborns look all innocent and stuff, but they are more work than anyone can anticipate or "prepare" for. If you can adapt to each day that.IS.routine. You are doing great, and you are doing it BY YOURSELF. I'm proud of you.