Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It Happened!

Today Hadley and I were sitting in our chair when the unthinkable happened.

We had been watching 'The Little Mermaid' - Well, I was watching it. She was flailing around on the floor and looking confused. I picked her up to sit with me and bounced her around a little, joining in with Sebastian to sing 'Under the Sea'.

And then, she smiled at me. A big, goofy, light-up-her-whole-face grin. It was quick and over way too fast, but I freaked out. She smiled at me! My baby approves of my substandard parenting! She forgives me for all the garlic in my milk!

And now, I completely understand why people do this. The burpings, the diapers, the 4-am wake up calls, the terrifying grunts and snorts emanating from the bassinet. I totally get it now.

The reward for this parenting thing is better than a Twinkie trunk turning over in front of my house, spilling free snack cakes out into the street. That used to be the best thing I could think of, before I saw my baby smile at me.


Don't deny it, you'd be all over free Twinkies.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Ahhh, the first smile. You are getting to the good stuff. Just when you think it couldn't possibly get any better....it does. Over and over again. Just wait til she laughs. I hope you have video mode on your camera, because I will be anxiously waiting for that post. ;)