Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Need a Hand?

WARNING: DO NOT LOOK AT PICTURE BELOW IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH OR ARE OTHERWISE A SISSY.







Hahaha, get it? Need a hand? I went back and forth between titling this blog "Can I get a hand with this?" and "Need a hand?" but I think in this case, less is more. If you find that offensive, sorry! I look at shit like this all day long and I need to keep my sense of humor somehow.

My patient was really nice yesterday and said I could take pictures and tell his story all I wanted, and even show them to other people. I took a few souveneir pictures for him, too, and told him to flash them to the ladies at the bar to show how tough he was.

This actually had a really good outcome; his hand was still attached and had great circulation for how dramatic it looks. He didn't even hit the bone (with the chainsaw) and he still had nerve sensation, so I have high hopes for this guy. He gave me a hug when he left, and his mom kissed me on the cheek. His mom sort of reminded me of Aunt Edie, only she was hispanic.

I know this is supposed to be a blog about my baby, but my baby is pretty quiet at the moment; I'm fairly sure I'm starting to feel him move around. I felt a lot of action when we went to see Iron Man, which may have been wishful thinking that my little nerd was excited about the movie. We find out on Friday if it's a boy or a girl, and I cannot WAIT. I will be posting the result in my blog, but I will provide ample warning for those that want to be surprised. I don't know how I'll keep it a surprise, though, so sorry in advance.

Since most of my family reads this, try to keep a weekend open in July. I'm going to try to come home for a baby shower. LISA, RACHAEL, AND AMY, THIS MEANS YOU. I am pitiless and will not hear any excuses if I drag my pregnant ass to Washington from California and nobody comes to see me!

I had a funny incident about a week ago with a four year old boy that was begging for crutches; he had seen the girl next door hobble out with some and he was convinced he needed some too. The conversation went something like this:

"I need those things that go in my armpits so I can walk."
"What things? You mean crutches?"
"Yeah!" (The whole time he's flapping his arms and has his hands in his armpits like a little gorilla.)
"Oh. Well...we only give crutches to...uh...to girls! That's right. You don't want to be a GIRL, do you?"
"Ye-...no. No."
"How about a popsicle instead?"
"Okay!"

Hah. Adult manipulation rules. I'd say I had a HAND in correcting his behavior! Hahah, and it comes full circle!

8 comments:

maq said...

You are fantastic. :D it comes full circle!

Amy said...

Uh, I can't make any promises about those weekends in July...I might just be havin' myself a baby. Even though I would much prefer that that not happen, I think I really don't have much of a choice any more. I was suppose to find out on Friday when my C-Section will be scheduled for but now I have to go out of town for a funeral. But, the earlier in July, the better. In case you give a damn about me and my schedule!

Geri said...

I'm steering towards the second weekend in July, because that's the weekend I have off and can finagle a few days more. I keep forgetting everyone I know is knocked up.

Rachael said...

That was disgusting. Thanks for sharing, in fact I think you should make your crazy ER stories a regular thing on your blog. And I wouldn't miss your visit for anything.

Rachael said...

That was disgusting. Thanks for sharing, in fact I think you should make your crazy ER stories a regular thing on your blog. And I wouldn't miss your visit for anything.

Amy said...

Ooohhh, Rachael's in trouble. Her comment should have said, "I wouldn't miss your visit for anything, except the birth of my sister's last baby!"
I see how we all rate. The funniest one always gets the most attention.

Lisa said...

I have to "hand" it to you, that was well, uh...totally AWESOME!!! I see you took my advice on actually posting a picture...but let me just clarify a bit more. Maybe a picture or two of YOU!!! You know, baby bump and all. Just a thought. And just so you know, I will do everything in my power to be at your shower, just as long as you bring more ER pics!

Geri said...

Unfortunately there is a small problem with more pictures/more stories; if a patient ever came across a story and knew I was talking about them or their medical condition, I could be sued/imprisoned/stripped of my license. Luckily, the guy in the pictures gave me verbal and written permission to show the pictures. I just can't use his name or any real private info. So I have to leave out the big information of my stories, but most of my stories are funnier that have nothing to do with their condition.